I took several recipes I saw online and modified them to my taste, reducing the overall butter and sugar. The end result was delicious, and I doubt you’ll miss any of the extra sugar or butter at all. Just serve it with low-fat vanilla ice cream because that makes everything better.
- 3 lbs apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup quick cook oats (not instant)
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter, cold, diced
- Stir together diced apples, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/3 cup white sugar, 1 tbs. lemon juice, 1 tsp. vanilla and 1 tbs. corn starch.
- Pour mixture into the bottom of a slow cooker.
- In a separate bowl, combine 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 cup oats, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 6 tbs. cold, diced butter.
- Crumble the flour mixture together until the butter is evenly distributed, like coarse sand throughout mixture.
- Pour this flour mixture over the top of the apples.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours. Serve with ice cream and enjoy!
*I’ve contemplated pouring a cup of Sprite over the top of the flour mixture to give it an extra edge, but I have not tried it yet. If you’re feeling brave, let me know!